The Center for Literary Studies Antonio Cornejo Polar, sponsored by the Humanities Research Institute of the Faculty of Arts and Human Sciences of the Nacional Mayor University San Marcos (San Marcos, Lima), had organized:
“Ends of the World” International Colloquium : Narratives of the Fantastic in Hispanic America, 25th – 27th of October in Lima, Peru
1. Theories of the fantastic between tradition and new paradigms. Relations of the fantastic with similar patterns as magical realism, the marvellous, the thriller, the horror, science fiction, the ghost-story, the gothic, the grotesque, the mini-fiction, humor, etc.
2. Fantastic literature in Latin America and Europe. Comparative Literature Studies. Studies of Peruvian and Latin American fantastic and its relationship with Anglo-saxon and European fantastic. Including text analysis, thematic studies and fantastic grounds.
3. Utopias and dystopias in hispanic-american literature.
4. Latin American and universal fantastic art (cinema, art and comics, among others).
5. Manifestations of the Peruvian fantastic
• Origins of Peruvian fantastic story. Tradition and other nineteenth-century narrative forms.
• Clemente Palma and modernist periodicals.
• The Peruvian fantastic story and its relationship to the forefront.
• Contemporary Peruvian narrative fantastic.
• Oral tradition and its links to the fantastic.
The colloquium had started with the conference of Prof. Rachel Haywood-Ferreira (Iowa State University, U.S.A.) : „Más Allá, Galaxy and the science fiction as global genre.”
The scholar participants came from Argentina (Universidad Autónoma de Entre Ríos), Belgium (HUB – University College Brussels), Brazil (Universidade do Estado Rio de Janeiro, Universidade Presbiteriana Mackenzie, Universidade Federal Fluminense, Universidade Federal do Espírito Santo, Universidade Estadual de Londrina (UEL), Universidade Federal de Pelotas (UFPel), Universidade Federal de Mato Grosso), Colombia (Universidad Tecnológica de Pereira, Ministerio de Educación Nacional de Colombia), Cuba ( Universidad de Cienfuegos Carlos Rafael Rodríguez), Mexico (Universidad Nacional Autónoma de México, Universidad Iberoamericana, Universidad Autónoma de la Ciudad de México, El Colegio de San Luis, A.C., México, Universidad de Guanajuato), Peru (Universidad Nacional Mayor de San Marcos, Universidad Nacional Federico Villarreal, Universidad César Vallejo, Pontificia Universidad Católica del Perú, Universidad de Lima, Universidad Nacional Agraria La Molina, Universidad San Ignacio de Loyola (USIL), Universidad de Ciencias y Artes de América Latina), Venezuela (Universidad Central de Venezuela, Universidad Pedagógica Experimental Libertador, Instituto Pedagógico Luís Beltrán Prieto Figueroa), United States (Iowa State University, University of Tennessee, Knoxville, Washington University in St. Louis, University of Wisconsin – Green Bay, Franklin & Marshall College).